Oral cancer screening
Your dentist or dental hygienist is the one who will examine your mouth most regularly. At Seine River Dental Centre we will carefully check all areas of your mouth for signs of cancer or other abnormalities at each appointment. We are thoroughly trained to look for changes that may be a concern. It is important to remember that not every lump or bump is harmful, but it is best to have it checked out by your dentist.
Oral cancer can start in the cells of the mouth, including:
- Inside of the lips and cheeks
- Hard palate (roof of the mouth)
- Floor of the mouth (under the tongue)
Who is at risk of oral cancer?
Anyone can develop oral cancer. Patients aged 65 and older with lifestyle risk factors, and those with a past history of oral cancer are most at risk. Risk factors for oral cancer include:
- Age (older people are at higher risk)
- Tobacco use (any type, any age, within 10 years of last use)
- Frequent alcohol consumption
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV 16, HPV 18)
- Epstein-Barr Virus
- Excessive sun exposure (especially lower lip)
- Betel quid use (with or without tobacco)